Modified 2020 Somerset Stingrays Swim Team Registration is NOW Open Until 29 June!
- 5-week swim program will start Monday July 6
- 30-45 minutes of swim technique & conditioning 3 or 5 days/week depending on # of swimmers that register
- Anticipate practices to take place between 7:30am-12pm but final schedule will be published after we know final swimmer #s
Swim Team Registration:
Registration for Swim Team and Sharkies is now open online at somersetrec.org/membership. Registration deadline will be MondayJune 29th. We recognize that June 29th is only a few days away but it’s going to be an abbreviated season and we need to get everything in place as soon as possible. Payment and the required three (3) forms (Concussion Waiver, Hold from Harm, and Covid 19 Release) must all be completed and turned in prior to the first day of practice, or your swimmer will not be allowed in the water. Swim Team or Sharkies participation requires Somerset Rec Club membership. All 3 forms can be turned in at the pool.
Practice Days and Times:
The specific practice schedule details are in the work and will be based on the number of registrants/ swimmers. The possible options will either be Mon-Fri or a split schedule with some swimmers on M-W-F and others on a T-Th-S schedule. The current plan is to hold practices in the morning before noon. More information to follow later in the week.
Swim Team Coaches:
We are thrilled to welcome two new coaches this year, Megan and Katie Lowell. Both girls grew up in Bellevue and come to us with a lot of experience. More information on our great coaches can be found on our website.
Sharkies (Pre-Competitive Swim Team)
The Sharkies program is typically for swimmers who aren’t quite ready for competitive swim team, but want daily swim lessons in a team setting. In a typical season we set up assessment to determine if your swimmer is ready for Sharkies or will need to remain in lessons. However, this year we will not be having a typical Sharkies program. Your swimmer is invited to join the swim team as a Sharkie if they can safely swim 25 yards without stopping.
With the cancelation of an official Midlakes season, and the ongoing pandemic, there will be no combined swim meets with other clubs. However, we intend to hold one or two meets with our own swim team. More details will follow.
Swim Team Registration Fees:
Team fee for 2020 season has decreased to 5 weeks and will cost $125 for both Swim Team and Sharkies.
There will be no required volunteer fee this year. We may be having a couple of events that will require volunteers from each family. More info to follow
New to Swim Team – Assessments:
There will not be a pre season assessment this year for new swimmers. However, all swimmers will be required to swim the length of the pool in order to participate this year.
Team Suits: No team suits are required this year. However, a suit of some kind is still required. 😊
Team Caps: Caps are required for swim practice as it help keep hair out of our filters. You are welcome to wear any cap you would like. They will be some caps left over from last season that will be available for purchase at the pool if you do not arrive with a cap.
We are looking for a few volunteers to commit now for a couple of positions for next season.
- Swim Rep Assistant. Shannon will be stepping down as swim rep after this 2020 season so we are looking for 1-2 volunteers to shadow and assist this year’s swim reps you will be prepared for next year. This is an opportunity for you to learn the systems and processes with lots of support.
- Volunteer Coordinator: We are looking for 1-2 volunteers to work together with the team reps. Responsibilities include assessing volunteer needs, input on Team Unify, getting the stop watches to all home and away meets and helping to pass out volunteer assignments at the meets.
Shannon and Michael
Reminder, we are volunteers and we get to emails as soon as we can. Please do not send us an email until you have read through this update.